Doppler3Beta2 Installer error 2869 on Vista w/ UAC

Feb 15, 2008 at 2:21 PM
Are you guys aware that the Doppler3Beta2 installer doesn't work on Vista w/ UAC? I searched around this site for '2869' and didn't get any hits, so I thought I'd post. I'd try the Doppler 2, but I don't want to install the old version of .Net, which the installer says is a requirement.

The Google says that the 2869 error has to do w/ you guys creating the installer w/ VS. Is that what you guys do?

Is Doppler simple enough to allow you guys to just distribute the .exe?

jb
Feb 17, 2008 at 2:59 AM
Edited Feb 17, 2008 at 3:13 AM
I was using Doppler 2 on XP. I just upgraded to Vista and tried to run Doppler 2, which as I kind of suspected, did not work. So I downloaded 3 beta, and got the same error 2869. Anything I can do to help to fix this issue (more detailed bug report, install/error logs, whatever) let me know... I really, really like Doppler and want to get it working on Vista. BTW, I'm also a hobbyist developer and I have VS 2008 installed, so I could even build and debug locally here if necessary I think, though I don't know what value that would have troubleshooting an install issue.
Feb 18, 2008 at 1:38 PM
I haven't tried this but you could give it a shot:

Create a batch file with the following command:

msiexec /i "path-to-package.msi"
Save the file then right-click it and select "Run as Administrator".

This is from here http://blogs.conchango.com/pauloreichert/archive/2006/11/21/Windows-Installer-MSI-packages-error-code-2869-on-Windows-Vista.aspx

Otherwise if you're a developer you could just download the latest from the Source Code page and then run the .exe under the \trunk\Doppler\Doppler\bin\Release folder.

Jonathan
Feb 18, 2008 at 1:42 PM
I just tried the installer on Vista Business 64 bit and the installation was fine. It popped up with an Allow/Cancel dialog as UAC is turned on.
I clicked allow and it installed without errors.

Maybe give more info on your system if the above workaround doesn't work.
Feb 18, 2008 at 3:23 PM
Thanks Jonathan. I'll give all of that a try. Yeah, I felt kind of silly after posting. I should just go get the source package and build it anyway. Might be able to contribute in the future too, who knows? If I have any further problems that I can't solve myself, I'll let you know.

Keith